THE LIPPER STRAIN

General discussions here.

Moderators: David McKee, Jimmy Phillips, Caroline Murphy

THE LIPPER STRAIN

Postby Don Nicely » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:19 am

Is it time to start talking about a Lipper Strain?? A serious question and for good reason. I know the first impulse might be to say, what are you talking about he is House Bred.

But what is Yadkin River? What is Lone Pine? What is Clover? What is Spring Creek? What is Sailor Boy?

Well lets take Sailor Boy. The Sailor Strain is HERSHBERGER bred. But a couple of dogs with a different name came from that strain that had an impact and people started talking about the Sailor strain of hounds.

Well House's Lipper has had an impact too. Bigger then maybe most realize. Even though he does have some House Bred hounds in him, he also has a lot more of some of the other hounds that made an impact on the breed. The combination of these strains is what made Lipper. In a later post I will try to go into how much of the House Strain he has in him compared to some of the other dogs in his pedigree.

This is not an attempt to take away from the House Strain but give credit to the other strains that combined together made Lipper which is The Lipper Strain.

With the arrival in a few days of some brand new puppies out of House's Lipper maybe it is time to actually talk about the Lipper Strain and the impact it has had on the breed. Doesn't he deserve this much?
Don Nicely

Postby Steve Fielder » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:06 am

Don,

Thanks for starting this thread. Aside from their prowess in the nite hunts in their day, I'll begin by asking you to identify the particular traits within the Lipper-bred dogs that distinguish this "strain" if you will from other strains of Treeing Walkers. I believe one of the traits was their treeing style. What do you think?
Dogstar118@aol.com
919-345-7542
Steve Fielder
Coonhound Events

Postby Don Nicely » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 am

Steve Fielder wrote:Don,

Thanks for starting this thread. Aside from their prowess in the nite hunts in their day, I'll begin by asking you to identify the particular traits within the Lipper-bred dogs that distinguish this "strain" if you will from other strains of Treeing Walkers. I believe one of the traits was their treeing style. What do you think?

You are welcome Steve. I thought it would be interesting especially with the talk that has been going on about Lipper and his offspring. I have asked Tom Hopkins to come on this board and describe what he sees as a Lipper bred hounds traits.

I have my opinions but who would be better then the guy that raised Lipper from a pup and campaigned him to all of his winnings? I will try to post later some of my thoughts and also go into detail on Lipper's bloodlines.
Don Nicely

LIPPER STRAIN TRAITS..

Postby Tom Hopkins » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:34 am

Thank you Don and Steve... HOUSES'S LIPPER was a 70lb muscular square red headed, blanketbacked, broad chested hound with long straight strong legs and cat tight feet on which he stood proudly. LIPPER was a beautiful tight wound bundle of talent with a competitive burning desire which made him not for the casual hunter. However, this concentration of ability was the key to his reproductive success. LIPPER was successful in producing dogs that were known to be fast breaking, hard hunting dogs that would throw dirt in your face leaving and generally string out a cast of dogs behind them squeeling and yelping and trying to keep up, this was confusing to the dogs and their handlers.
LIPPER dogs would tree a pop up or get deep in a hurry, according to the coon population. A LIPPER TRAIT that was quite evident was their tracking ability. A LIPPER dog could run a track with their head in the air and turn a feed track into a climb or get caught track in short order. Then comes that signature screaming hair raising locate that was usually blown several yards before rolling up on the timber where the show was about to begin. The most remembered TRAIT of LIPPER dogs was their tree style. The were so loud that many times a cast would want to move back and then closer in an attempt to hear if their dogs were at the tree. You could shine the dogs while going into the tree and see the other dogs mouthes moving but could only here the LIPPER dog till you got to the tree. Many have described a LIPPER tree mouth. Such as, a large piece of machinery running, or a dinosaour or a dog caught in a trap or in extreme distress. It was a constant roar that was deafning. Once treed they were treed the more pressure you put on them the better they liked it and the harder they would tree. I would say that the cherry on top was the accuracy that LIPPER put in his offspring. If you hunted a LIPPER dog you came to expect to see a coon when you walked up to a tree. In closing I would say that the concentration of desire and balance in all departments was the key to THE LIPPER STRAIN.

Tom Hopkins
Hopkins/Lipper
Tom Hopkins

Re: LIPPER STRAIN TRAITS..

Postby Don Nicely » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:16 am

Tom Hopkins wrote:Thank you Don and Steve... HOUSES'S LIPPER was a 70lb muscular square red headed, blanketbacked, broad chested hound with long straight strong legs and cat tight feet on which he stood proudly. LIPPER was a beautiful tight wound bundle of talent with a competitive burning desire which made him not for the casual hunter. However, this concentration of ability was the key to his reproductive success. LIPPER was successful in producing dogs that were known to be fast breaking, hard hunting dogs that would throw dirt in your face leaving and generally string out a cast of dogs behind them squeeling and yelping and trying to keep up, this was confusing to the dogs and their handlers.
LIPPER dogs would tree a pop up or get deep in a hurry, according to the coon population. A LIPPER TRAIT that was quite evident was their tracking ability. A LIPPER dog could run a track with their head in the air and turn a feed track into a climb or get caught track in short order. Then comes that signature screaming hair raising locate that was usually blown several yards before rolling up on the timber where the show was about to begin. The most remembered TRAIT of LIPPER dogs was their tree style. The were so loud that many times a cast would want to move back and then closer in an attempt to hear if their dogs were at the tree. You could shine the dogs while going into the tree and see the other dogs mouthes moving but could only here the LIPPER dog till you got to the tree. Many have described a LIPPER tree mouth. Such as, a large piece of machinery running, or a dinosaour or a dog caught in a trap or in extreme distress. It was a constant roar that was deafning. Once treed they were treed the more pressure you put on them the better they liked it and the harder they would tree. I would say that the cherry on top was the accuracy that LIPPER put in his offspring. If you hunted a LIPPER dog you came to expect to see a coon when you walked up to a tree. In closing I would say that the concentration of desire and balance in all departments was the key to THE LIPPER STRAIN.

Tom Hopkins
Hopkins/Lipper

Thanks Tom. From the Lipper dogs I have seen you have described the traits very well.
Don Nicely

The Newest Little Lippers.

Postby Don Nicely » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:28 am

One of the amazing things about science is what it can allow us to do. 26 years ago semen was drawn from a 2 year old Lipper still making a name for himself.

Just the other day a litter was born from one of those Frozen Straws Of Hope. Congrats!!! Jerry Beard and Tom Hopkins on this special litter of pups.

It will be fun watching these little guys and watch what they do.

10 PUPS

5 MALES 5 FEMALES
Don Nicely

Hounds With Lipper In Their Pedigrees

Postby Don Nicely » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:31 am

DUAL GRAND CHAMPION RIGHT HAND FLYERS GRIZZLY

DUAL GRAND CHAMPION SKUNA RIVER KID

Here are two hounds that has Lipper in them on both sides of their pedigree.
Don Nicely

LIPPER'S IMAGE

Postby Don Nicely » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:33 am

GRAND NITE CHAMPION LIPPER'S IMAGE

One of the many fine hounds produced by LIPPER.
Last edited by Don Nicely on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Nicely

HOOUSE'S TOM TOM - THE LIPPER STRAIN

Postby Don Nicely » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:04 am

Originally posted by C.Gibson
Hey history nut.. What can you tell us about House's tom tom? Back in the day that was the blood I loved. Tom Tom, & Clint. Both led to lipper.

Okay before I start let me do a disclaimer.

"Okay your House freaks :) said with a smile, the information I am going to post here and in later posts is in NO WAY meant to take anything away from Joe House and the important part he had on the breed. It is not meant to diminish his importance or to bash him in anyway. It is also not meant to give more credit then what is due.

Some may say "What are you talking about "The Lipper Strain" he is House bred. While you can make the argument for that, more so from his mama's side then his daddy's side there is a lot more to LIPPER then Joe House or House's Queen. As I will lay his bloodlines out in this post and others you will find there are other dogs from the past that has had an impact on Lipper and The Lipper Strain.

Many have called Lipper a freak by how powerful he was. Some of the finest qualities from some of the powerful hounds that were part of the foundation for our breed came together to create a freak called LIPPER!

To talk about a strain we will need a fountain head for that strain. I would think that HOUSE'S QUEEN would be considered the Fountain Head of the House's Strain.

Let's start with HOUSE'S TOM TOM. Would most consider him a House Bred Hound? Tom Tom was out of Kaw River Chief and Tinsley's Kansas Tess.

Kaw River Chief was out of House's Chief and Johnson's Kansas Rose.

House's Chief was out of Johnson's Banjo and House's Queen.

Kansas Rose was out of Staley's Paducah Chief and Hershberger's Kansas Sally.

Tom Tom's mother Tinsley's Kansas Tess was out of Bun's Jack and Tinsley's Kansas Jane. What many may not realize is that there was another Tinsley's Kansas Tess that had as much if not more impact then Tom Tom's mother Tess. The original Tinsley's Kansas Tess is in Tom's mother background numerous times. She was out of Mack Twain and a female out of Indiana Boone Boy and Forrester's Sue. Her mother was a litter mate to Forrester's Bell, Motley's Mo. Major's mother.

So House's Tom Tom's mother goes back to Mack Twain at least 3 times, Indiana Boone Boy at least 4 times, Forrester's Sue at least 4 time, Motley's Mo. Major, Merchant's Bawlie, Hershberger's Little Butch.

Tom Tom's Daddy Kaw River Chief as stated goes back to Johnson's Banjo and House's Queen. But in all fairness if you was going to call Tom Tom as House Bred because of his Grandfather's mother, couldn't you also make the argument he is Banjo bred?

Tom Tom's grand pa is House's Chief. That is the only place you get House and since Chief was out of Banjo why not Banjo bred?

Kaw River Chief's mother Kansas Rose goes back to Nance's Joe Williams, Mack Twain, Hershberger's Okla. Spot, Hershberger's Texas Babe, Indians Boone Boy, Forrester's Sue, White River Boone at least 2 times, and Hershberger's Spot Jr.

So there you have it for the most part. What strain is Tom Tom?
Don Nicely

LIPPER TOM

Postby Don Nicely » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:08 pm

LIPPER TOM
Don Nicely

LITTER OF IMPACT PUP PICTURES

Postby Don Nicely » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:09 am

Picture taken at 4 days of age
Don Nicely

Postby Steve Fielder » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:06 am

That's about as uniform, nice-colored litter of pups as you will see anywhere Don.
Dogstar118@aol.com
919-345-7542
Steve Fielder
Coonhound Events

Postby Don Nicely » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 am

Steve Fielder wrote:That's about as uniform, nice-colored litter of pups as you will see anywhere Don.

They are nice aren't they. I think Jerry and Tom are very pleased on how they look. Here is an old picture of Lipper. You can see they are marked a lot like him.

Don Nicely

Postby Lance Laymon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:55 am

Was Guess Deanwood Drifter a litter mate to Lipper?
Lance Laymon

Not Littermates

Postby Tom Hopkins » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:36 am

Lance Laymon wrote:Was Guess Deanwood Drifter a litter mate to Lipper?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No Lance Lipper and Deanwood Drifter were not littermates. Have a great day.
Tom Hopkins
Hopkins/Lipper
Tom Hopkins

Next

Return to General Message Forum